Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wood Name Blocks


My good friend Shannon makes these ADORABLE wood letters and they are SO CUTE!!! I have been wanting to make one for Emma for quite some time and when Shannon posted a step by step tutorial I decided to go for it and make one for Emma.

This is how I did it:
1. Buy some wood letters. I bought mine from a Utah scrapbooking store called Heartland Scrapbooking in Taylorsville. You can order them from anywhere and they will ship them to you. I LOVE this store!!!

2. Find some scrapbooking paper that goes with the theme of your child's room. It took me FOREVER to find the right kind of paper for Emma's room. I finally found a cute pad of paper from Joann's. I love the pads because all of the paper coordinates.

3. Turn your letters upside down and trace them.

4. Cut them out and set them aside.

5. Paint your wood letters. Let them dry in between coats, give them at least 2 to 3 coats.

6. Let the paint dry for 24 hours.

7. Use Modge podge use glossy rather then matte.

8. While modge podge is still wet put traced paper letter on wood letter. Gently push out air bubbles, let it dry slight. One of my letters was messed up so I let it dry slightly and then I gently pulled it up and applied more modge modge and pressed back down.

9. Dry overnight.

10. The next day your going apply another coat of modge podge over the papered.

11. Allow them to dry for about an hour.

12. Then embellish your letters. I made paper flowers and used ribbon. Using three different papers trace three circles, each slightly larger then the one before. I cut and crumpled them up and then rubbed the creases with an antique stamp. You can find the antique stamps in the scrapbooking section of any craft store. I placed a jewel brad in the center of the three flowers. I used pop dots to attach the flower to the letter.

14. After you have completed your embellishments put them on your letters and you are done!!!

Have fun!! :)


No comments: